This time, I've had to make do on my own. I've tried not to spend very much money on things because I don't want to have a wardrobe full of things I can't wear anymore next year, but I also don't want to feel like a complete slob while I am pregnant.
Here's what's making up my pregnancy wardrobe this time around:
- Dresses - My mom bought me two maternity dresses last time, and I got two really stretchy non-maternity dresses from Loft that I wear frequently. Add a belt or a necklace and it's an instant outfit.
- Skirts - I also have this long one from Target that I love. It's too long for me to wear when I'm not pregnant, but it's PERFECT when I am and I think I'll be able to wear it the entire time. I also have several very stretchy knee-length skirts that are wearable all nine months.
- Leggings - Being pregnant means several of my dresses are just not quite long enough after a few months, and these make them work the whole time. I just buy regular leggings at Target for all of $8.
- Sweaters - I wear these mostly on Sundays right now, but once fall comes, I'm planning to wear them even more. I like them over a patterned tank with jeans or a skirt, or to make a dress look a little different. I especially like the open-front ones (this one from Downeast is one of my favorites).
- Long stretchy t-shirts - I don't tend to like maternity shirts very much because I think they have that certain tent-quality that I'm very much NOT going for. I also like that a really stretchy shirt curves around the bottom of my belly so it's not just tapering off into huge mid-section. I have a black one from Modbod that I'll probably wear 50 more times during this pregnancy. (But then, you know how much I love black shirts). I also just ordered this striped shirt from Shade.
- Maternity jeans - I wear jeans WAY too much to not have a real pair of maternity jeans. I really like skinny jeans because a) I need to wear something with the word "skinny" in it and b) you can fudge the length more. I had several borrowed pairs last time around but because they were boot-cut, most of them were just a little too high-water for me. Not the look I was going for. I also strongly prefer the ones with the low-rise knit panel, rather than a full over-the-stomach panel because I feel like those panels are impossible to keep smooth under a shirt and also don't hold my pants up tightly enough and I spend my entire day hitching them up. I love my Old Navy ones and I just ordered a pair in red too. Did I just write that much about maternity jeans? How embarrassing.
- Fun shoes - I like to wear real shoes all the time, but especially when I'm pregnant. I've been lucky that my feet don't seem to change sizes and I can wear my regular shoes, but even if they were, I would buy bigger shoes because I refuse to wear plastic flip-flops and add to my already-feeling-frumpy vibe.
- Bracelets - I'm more of a necklace and earring wearer generally, but when I'm pregnant, I like the emphasis on a part of my body that is still skinny. (The one in that picture above is from Tiffany's. Mine is from the clearance aisle at Claire's).