- Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors by Danna Smith and Valeria Petrone. This was one of Ella's favorite books for many many months, and the cute illustrations delighted me every time.
- Pirate Girl by Cornelia Funke and Kerstin Meyer. When Molly is kidnapped by pirates, they have no idea what's coming when she summons her parents.
- Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel and Henry Cole. My mom bought this book for us a while back, and Ella was instantly in love.
- How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long and David Shannon. Pirates AND David Shannon? This is a match made in heaven.
- Tough Boris by Mem Fox and Kathryn Brown. Even tough old pirates can get a little sad when their parrots die.
- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. This book's original cover made it a hard sell to boys since it looks like a romance novel, but it's actually one of my all-time favorites about a girl sailing back to America that turns out to be mutinous. She's quickly caught in the middle and finds herself standing trial for murder.
- Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson and Greg Call. I love this story based on Peter Pan, much of which takes place on a pirate ship in the first book.
A Few Crafts, Activities, and Recipes: