I prefer my camping to take place in picture books and chapter books. Maybe some s'mores made over the kitchen stove.
(P.S. If you're looking for a summer reading list for adults, I put together a summer reading guide last week that I'm totally thrilled about).
- Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy by Jan Thomas - I think Jan Thomas is the master of very early comedic books. This one, about a cowboy singing a lullaby to his very skittish cows, is a family favorite.
- Postcards from Camp by Simms Taback - Michael is not a fan of sleepaway camp. And his postcards home to his father detail all the reasons he wants OUT.
- The Woods by Paul Hoppe - Ella can't get enough of this book about a little boy who, at bedtime, loses his beloved stuffed animal and must venture into the terrifying woods to reclaim it.
- A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee - When they go to spend the week with grandparents, it's supposed to be nature camp, but it turns out to be a lot of eating sugar and watching cartoons.
- Lucille Camps In by Kathryn Lasky and Marylin Hafner - When her dad and older siblings take off camping without her, Lucille and her mom decide to camp at home, complete with a tent and s'mores.
- Poppleton in Spring by Cynthia Rylant and Mark Teague - Embarrassingly, I've never read a Poppleton book until now, but I'm hooked. And apparently I really love books featuring pigs.
- Quiet Night by Marilyn Singer and John Manders - Marilyn Singer does such great books, and this one, about how noisy it is camping in the woods, delighted my daughters with all the sounds and rhythms.
- The Princess and Her Panther by Wendy Orr and Lauren Stringer - Two sisters (as you might have guessed, the younger is conned into being the panther) go camping. Doing so might require some bravery.
- The Lost Lake by Allen Say - I love Allen Say's distinctive and Caldecott-winning art and storytelling, and this is no exception, about a boy and his very quiet father who set out to find a lost lake.
- Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary - Ralph is ready to go out on the road with his motorcycle and ends up at a summer camp when he's captured by a lonely camper.
- Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters by Lenore Look and LeUyen Pham - The Alvin Ho series is fantastic (somewhat similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid) and in this one, Alvin Ho is forced to confront all his worst outdoorsy fears. Poor guy!
- Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown by Jarrett J. Krosoczka - This is one of my favorite graphic novel series. They are so clever and funny; I've never met a kid who didn't love them.
And. . . giveaway time!
Are you familiar with Kiwi Crate? They send amazing boxes of projects, games, and other fantastic things for kids (you can do a subscription or just order individual boxes). They are currently doing a Summer Adventure Series, with special boxes themed around camping, the beach, and amusement parks.
They're giving away two of their camping boxes here - just enter using Rafflecopter below! (And, you can also get 25% off a 1-month subscription with the code SUMMER25).
a Rafflecopter giveaway