I'll admit that generally I will slog through a book if it is not just unbearable unbearable torture because I hate to leave a book unread and also, if I'm far enough into it, it's generally worth it to me and my false sense of accomplishment to chalk another book up on the completed list.
But sometimes, if a book is just completely clogging up my reading (meaning, I feel like I'm choosing not to read anything because I feel bad about not reading this particular book) or if it's just too foul or I just can't stand it, I'll give it up.
Most of the time, when I start reading a book, I list it on Goodreads in my "currently-reading" category (which shows up on the right sidebar of my blog), and then, if I don't finish it, it goes into my "Unfinished" category. It's not a perfect system, because sometimes I give up on a book before I've added it and so I forget entirely that it's a book I haven't finished, but here's the ones I do have on record as "unfinished" since the beginning of 2008:
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves
- One for the Money (Stephanie Plum #1)
- Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do
- Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant #2)
- The Devil's Breath
- The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog
- Fat Kid Rules the World
- Hamlet: A Novel
- From Hinton to Hamlet: Building Bridges Between Young Adult Literature and the Classics
- The Knife of Never Letting Go
- Horns and Wrinkles
- Team of Rivals
- The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary
- I, Coriander
- More than Enough
- Bread and Roses, Too
Any books you just couldn't get through?