- Cispin, Cross of Lead - Avi Not my favorite. Avi is so hit or miss.
- Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas - Louise Rennison
Hilarious, like all Georgia Nicolson books.
- Dragon's Blood - Jane Yolen
- Looking for Alaska - John Green Terrific writing, but a little vulgar.
- Vegan Virgin Valentine - Carolyn Mackler Meh.
- American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang Pretty good although I clearly didn't get it all.
- My Mother the Cheerleader - Robert Sharenow Skip this, go read To Kill a Mockingbird instead.
- The Chocolate War - Robert Comier Wow, I really suprised myself by loving this book.
- Light Years - Tammar Stein Really great, although not quite as good as High Dive.
- Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr Supposedly a great book for Twilight fans. Might I mention that these books are virtually nothing alike? Also, I've never thought piercings were as attractive as I did in this book.
- Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants - Louise Rennison Funny, funny.
- The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart In contention for my favorite book of the year.
- Homecoming - Cynthia Voigt Over 20 audio CDs and totally worth it. How had I not read this classic?
- Guyaholic: A Story of Finding, Flirting, Forgetting . . .and the Boy Who Changes Everything - Carolyn Mackler Carolyn Mackler, I'm kind of over you.
- What I Saw and How I Lied - Judy Blundell Still can't believe this won the National Book Award. I clearly do not get it.
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E. Pearson I do not buy the buzz for this one. A lame book, I thought.
- Away Laughing on a Fast Camel - Louise Rennison I love Dave the Laugh.
- Einstein for Beginners - Joseph Schwartz and Michael McGuinness Note to authors: adding cartoons to the theory of relativity does not make it any easier for my small brain to comprehend.
- Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers - Louise Rennison I clearly read WAY too many of these.
- An Abundance of Katherines - John Green Not as good as Looking for Alaska.
- Fly on the Wall - E. Lockhart
A total disappointment after Frankie Landau-Banks
- Startled by His Furry Shorts - Louise Rennison And yet another Georgia book. Read them already.
- Paper Towns - John Green John Green appears to only have one story line.
- Dicey's Song - Cynthia Voigt Excellent; even better than Homecoming. Also shorter.
- Love is a Many Trousered Thing - Louise Rennison Oh my heavens. Just stop already.
- Stop in the Name of Pants - Louise Rennison They are funnier on CD.
- Frindle - Andrew Clements A quick semi-amusing read. I cannot believe how popular this book is.
- The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own - Nina Garcia I do not need half or even three quarters of these things.
- Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy Skulduggery is a very amusing skeleton.
- Girl 15, Charming But Insane - Sue Limb Completely forgettable.
- The Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp Better than I expected from a book about an alcoholic teenager.
- Olive's Ocean - Kevin Henkes This seemed very long for a book that fit on three CDs.
- Savvy - Ingrid Law I'm crossing my fingers for a Newbery seal on this one.
- The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy - Jeanne Birdsall Good, although I would have liked it more as a kid.
- Chains - Laurie Halse Anderson Really lovely, although I'm not as into historical fiction as I once was.
- A Curse Dark as Gold - Elizabeth C. Bunce One of the better books I read this year. Really a well-told story.
- The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart Even better the second time!
December 31, 2008
Fourth Quarter Reading
I read thirty-seven books this quarter: exactly the same amount as in the third quarter. This brings my total up to 149 books this year, just one book shy of a nice round 150. This was almost double the amount of books I read last year.
Labels: Quarterly Report